Useful Links about Stroke
Interprofessional Learning Objectives for Stroke Care
Learning objectives related to stroke across 16 key learning areas and relevant to eight regulated health disciplines (found in the Useful Links section)
Dysphagia management resources
A collection of resources related to best practices, screening, management addressing both research and education.
National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS)
A three-hour workshop developed to train front line staff to perform the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale, to provide practice with simulated patients, and to use simulations on the training DVD to assess interrater reliability.
Canadian Neurological Scale (CNS)
The Canadian Neurological Scale is a validated and recommended tool for assessing and monitoring the neurological status of stroke clients. The tools can help you offer a half day CNS workshop in your organization.
A Guide to the Implementation of Stroke Unit Care
This resource supports the Canadian Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care in the acute care setting (Rec. #4.1) and inpatient rehabilitation (Rec. #5.2). It provides guidance for the establishment of new stroke units and the enhancement of existing stroke units to provide optimal services and processes of care for stroke patients.
Ontario Telehealth Network (OTN)
A Telestroke Referring Site Toolkit has been developed to provide a concise introduction to the Provincial Telestroke program for new and existing referring sites. It includes workflows, processes, tools, and resources that can be adapted and integrated within your organization’s existing policies and procedures. Using this toolkit, you will be able to provide a standardized, province‐wide infrastructure that supports a Telestroke encounter.
Stroke Pocket Cards
A package of 5 pocket cards including Stroke Symptoms, Functions of the Brain, Cranial Nerves, Canadian Neurological Scale and National Institute of Health Stroke Scale. Available in English and French.
The following documents have been created by OSS regional rehabilitation coordinators and have been agreed to share provincially. The documents describe activities (e.g. surveys, forums, educational events and workshops) that Regional Stroke Networks in Ontario have undertaken with respect to the use of assessment tools in stroke rehabilitation.
- Central East Stroke Network Common Assessment Tools/Outcome Measures Interim Report 2011
- Central South: Review of Selected Outcome Measurement Tools 2010
- Champlain Region Assessment – Outcome Measures Forum Presentation 2010
- Champlain Region Assessment Tool Survey Results 2009
- Champlain Region Outcome Measures Forum Findings 2010
- Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario: Stroke Rehabilitation Assessment Tools Survey Report 2011
- Report of the Provincial Outcome Measures Working Group 2011
- Southeastern Ontario: Outcome Measures Workshop KFL&A Report 2011
- Southeastern Ontario: Quinte Health Care and Quinte Rehab Stroke Outcome Measures Retreat Report 2009
- Southwestern Ontario Stroke Rehab Outcome Measures Forum Report 2009
- West GTA SLP Assessment Tools and Outcome Measures Forum Report 2010
Heart&StrokeTM Foundation Stroke Resources Directory
This is repository of tools, resources and programs that support uptake of best practices by health care professionals working in stroke care. These tools organize resources in user friendly way and is a “work-in-progress” that will continue to grow through the efforts of OSN and their partners. If you wish to suggest a resource that should be considered for inclusion, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.